Sunday, October 25, 2015

Bed Making...A Lost Art!

 
I have realized of late that bed making is becoming a lost art! 
Having all boys, I never thought about it being a necessary lesson to pass on, but maybe I should have!
You see, there is nothing more satisfying to me than jumping out of bed in the morning, smoothing the sheets, tucking in the edges, straightening the coverlet, fluffing the pillows and placing them just so...Then glancing at it over my shoulder as I head to the kitchen for my first cup of coffee!
~Thank you St. Philip~
I know it sounds a bit, well, obsessive and No, I don't do this every day.....But 
 
I thought I would write a little post for
 anyone who didn't get a lesson growing up 
or for those who just love a well dressed bed!
 
 
 Tuesday Morning always has a great selection of reasonably priced high end sheets.  Think about it, how often do you buy sheets?  Invest in good quality!
Iron if you like!  It's that hot appliance some people use to get wrinkles out.
Way smaller than the dryer, has a cord, requires a padded board..ring any bells?
  
 
I call these my throw down pillows....new standard, queen or king pillow forms in fresh pillow cases; never used, just thrown on the bench at the foot of our bed before bedtime!
They give the impression of a drool~free household!
 
Notice the silk pillow cover...I love it.
My hair is not so frightful in the a.m. and it seems to keep sleep wrinkles at bay~ 
 
 
I add a blanket in the winter months, just in case the air conditioner cuts off and it gets below 70.
 
 
It doesn't have to be a white matelassé coverlet, just a washable cotton coverlet that gives you a clean fresh look and is comfortable to sleep under if needed! Add matching shams to keep things cohesive!
 

 THE KEY AND I KEEP REPEATING MYSELF I KNOW,
 IS NEW PILLOW FORMS FOR YOUR "NOT FOR SLEEPING" PILLOWS!
Hit Walmart or Target, they're a dime a dozen or close!
 

 My Comforter Soap Box (read if you have time!)
There are some beautiful duvet covers and sumptuous fluffy comforters out there;
be they bargain sets or slightly expensive pieces.
But let's face it, they are not really washable, maybe not even truly dry cleanable!
  Oh yes, it may say so on the care instructions, but washer beware.  Sleep under it, let your kids play on it or even worse your pets find it comfy...
No problem you say, I'll just throw it in the wash or buy stock in my local cleaners!
Well think again.
Your beautiful bedding will be transformed into a shrunken or lumpy faded version of its former self!  
So as I advise my clients, layer those pieces with a cotton coverlet, problem solved!
 
 
And there you have it...BedDressing 101
Whether you wanted it or not, I just had to!
Additional reading on the subject: HouseBeautiful, SouthernLiving, JUST IN CASE!

So,  Dress your Bed
You'll be surprised at the welcoming effect it can have on you at bedtime!
 

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.

When you lie down, you will not be afraid; When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

 
Comforting and grace filled dreams to you, B     

Oh, I almost forgot... 
If you were looking for a post or update on my 2015 GraceReclaimed Christmas Trunk Show?
 I promise, I'm on it!  November 20 or 21st, possibly both!!
More information and teasers to come! 
Just keep following!

No comments:

Post a Comment