Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mom’s Gardening Gloves….


With Mother’s Day coming, and after spending much of the last two or was it three?? weeks with my Mom in her garden preparing for a garden tour…
I thought I’d share!
She, my Mom has a love for all things beautiful. In fact, it is a bit of an obsession and I mean that in a good way. She loves her garden, her home, and herself to be “dressed to the nines!”. And that of course made me think, wherever did the phrase come from?
One theory states that women of the Middle Ages would often wear fashionable gloves as part of their formal wear. These gloves were said to contain nine buttons from wrist to elbow, so if a woman was said to be "dressed to the nines", she would be wearing her most formal evening wear. Although my Mom loves the thought of dressing up, and does so quite often, I think the only gloves she owns are gardening gloves. And she is at her most beautiful with those gloves covered in dirt and her stunning silver hair damp with sweat from a day of work in her garden. In fact I can’t remember when my Mom didn’t do the gardening or the yard work, for that matter. Only in the last many years, with the help of my Dad, her Prince Albert! One of my most vivid memories of her was watching as she edged our yard with a kitchen knife, before we could afford a push edger. A determined and hardworking example that taught me the importance of taking care of one’s home, inside and out, she was never afraid of a little hard work. It is that very determination and strength, that taught me and my siblings a strong work ethic and the truth that you will reap what you sow in all areas of life!
At 75, she never sits idle. She keeps her eyes focused on the task of the day and stays beautifully young in the process, whether it be, shopping, dancing, gardening, or caring for her family. She never ceases to amaze us all! She is reaping a harvest of children, grandchildren and now great-grandchildren, who benefit tremendously from her example!

Thanking God for the Joy of my Mom and her garden of love and lessons! b

3 comments:

  1. Very sweet Belinda. Your mom is one lucky woman to have such devoted, loving children. Love ya! DMR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could put my thoughts into words like you can. It is so unfair that you are so talented in so many areas. I love listening to your heart. I also want to see more pictures of your moms garden. I love you sweet friend. b

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belinda,
    I will cherish this blog forever.
    Every mother needs to have a Belinda.

    Thanks for all your hard work and
    encouragement. Couldn't have done
    it without you.
    Much Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete