Saturday, March 26, 2016

Settling…


Married now for 23 years and in this old Charlton House for 15 of those,
 I find it mind boggling in comparison to my earlier life that I have
“settled into this place” for so long! 
 
With all that has been happening around me lately, I have really been reflecting on my life decisions and how they compare to those of my boys! 
You see as a young women, I was a bit lost, without direction or much guidance after high school; quit college early, married early, divorced shortly thereafter, became a single mom, changed jobs a lot (oil and gas in the 80’s).  And in the midst I made a couple of bad choices, repeated one, and added to that many thoughtless decisions.  But with most of them God chose to teach me, many He chose to grow me, and thankfully with some, He chose to bless me!   


After years of an unsettled life, I finally chose settled!
I guess it’s called growing up!
In my contemplation of late, I’ve been considering the word settle, settled or settling.  What does it mean?

     set·tle1ˈsedl/  verb
  1. resolve or reach an agreement about (an argument or problem).
  2. adopt a more steady or secure style of life
     settle - Urban Dictionary
     the act of giving up someone you love or something of value for less than desired,
     the act of not being able to satisfy your need or want and choosing someone or
     something of lower standard or value.

     Settle, Merriam Webster, intransitive verb 
  1. to come to rest
  2. to become clear by the deposit of sediment or scum
  3. to become fixed, resolved, or established
  4. to become quiet or orderly :  to take up an ordered or stable life
  5. to adjust differences
INTERESTING, right?  
I favor the last referenced. 
I find great solace in knowing that being settled or settling isn’t just adopting a more steady life or giving up something you love for something less desired! 
I like Merriam Webster’s list combined.
 
~Settling is coming to rest, becoming clear, fixed, quiet and adjusted!~
Ceasing the struggle, depositing the unnecessary stuff, resolving to be content, finding peace in order and figuring out the difference in want and need!
 


I found settled when I found St. Philip…
It was a hard concept for me to grasp, becoming settled.  I only wish I could pass on this concept of becoming settled, but not settling to my guys! 
On the most part, they seem to have a head start; a couple of them anyway! 
I guess there could be such a thing as too much guidance and I know that some of us just have to learn the hard way. So I keep praying they learn from my mistakes, not have to repeat them! 
Or at least they remember this.
Do fight for what you love and believe, but first believe this; God wants us to have the best in life, so we must not compromise or settle for the least.  Do not think the best is behind you, it is yet to come. 
God will fulfill it for you, have faith!

Thanking God for his provision of settledness and most of all His saving grace, B

No comments:

Post a Comment