Saturday, November 28, 2009

From Thanksgiving to the celebration of Advent....And so it is Christmas!



The Christian season of Christmas actually begins on Christmas Eve and lasts for twelve days, ending on January 6. (No, the twelve-day season of Christmas did not start with the song. It was the other way around.) The time before Christmas is Advent, a season of preparation for Christmas. Christians prepare for celebrating the birth of Jesus by remembering the longing of the Jews for a Messiah. In Advent we're reminded of how much we also need a Savior, and we look forward to our Savior's second coming even as we prepare to celebrate his first coming at Christmas. Indeed, the word Advent comes from the Latin word that means "coming" or "visit." In the season with this name, we keep in mind both "advents" of Christ, the first in Bethlehem and the second yet to come.

I am honored to have served as the Altar Guild Chairperson at my church for the last 4 years running….and I do mean running, especially at this time of year. Today is the day that we spent preparing our sanctuary for Advent. It is a day of great fun, but an extreme amount of work, that would never get done without great friends and volunteers! Including my right hand man… Who spent his birthday, by the way, serving along side me (What a Saint!)

As I sit, exhausted yet fulfilled after a too long day, I am reminded of the longing of those in the past for a Messiah, of those in this future who are so in need of a Savior… And truly thankful that HE is mine!

So you see, I am doubly blessed, a Savior for a Father & a Saint as a Husband!
Happy Birthday Philip….P.S. I love you!
b

No comments:

Post a Comment